Nicola Bryant portrayed American college student Peri (Perpugilliam) Brown from the beginning
of Planet of Fire (1984) through the end of Mindwarp (1986).
"Nicola Bryant was born in Surrey. The daughter of a central heating engineer, she attended drama school at Webber Douglas
and her final production there was the musical No, No, Nanette in which she played the lead. She was spotted by an
agent and asked to audition for the part of Peri in Doctor Who, which she got. It was while at drama school that
she was married to American Broadway singer Scott Kennedy, although they later separated. After leaving Doctor Who,
she worked mainly in the theatre, appearing in productions of So Long on Lonely Street, Jeeves, Twelfth Night,
Killing Jessica and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. She has also appeared on television in
Blackadder's Christmas Carol and in the 1993 Doctor Who skit, Dimensions in Time. In 1992
she lived in Los Angeles for several months before returning to the UK. In 1994 she toured with Thank You For Having Me,
and in 1994 she appeared as a regular character in the children's television series The Biz."
Taken from "Doctor Who - The Eighties" by David J Howe, Mark Stammers, Stephen James Walker; p.60. Used with permission.
"'I suppose it was a terrific gamble for John Nathan-Turner to pick a drama student like me fresh out of drama
school (the Webber Douglas Academy) for such an important role. Particularly as I had competition from both American
and Canadian actresses who had flown over specially to audition. But I was a real fan of the series and had been
ever since I could remember.' - Nicola Bryant"
Taken from "Doctor Who - 25 Glorious Years" by Peter Haining; p.127.
BBC Character Outline:
Perpugilliam (Peri for short) Brown is a wealthy 18-year-old American student studying botany.
She has long blonde hair which complements her attractive looks. She does not suffer fools gladly and her most
charming attribute is an acute sense of humour. We meet Peri for the first time while she is on holiday in
whichever country we decide to film next season's foreign story. Peri's mother, Janine, has remarried a man
Peri dislikes - Howard. Peri still treasures the memory of her father, who died when Peri was 13, particularly
as her mother appears to care more for Howard's three children than for Peri herself. It is because of her
respect for her father that Peri thinks so highly of the Doctor - to some extent the Doctor replaces the gap
in Peri's life. When he died he was the same age as the Doctor appears now. This never develops further
than admiration and close friendship. Peri is the kind of girl who is popular - not just because of her looks,
but because her warmth and sense of fun make her appeal to people of all ages.
Taken from "Doctor Who - The Eighties" by David J Howe, Mark Stammers, Stephen James Walker; p.62. Used with permission.
The Companions Page - Peri
The Companions Page - Nicola Bryant
Beauties of Sci Fi - Nicola Bryant
Search Alta Vista for
Internet Movie Database entry for
The Contact Sheet (87K JPEG) thumbnails for images 01-31
- bryann01.jpg _30K Lying on beach, unconscious, in bikini, screen capture from Planet of Fire. Improved 06Jul96
- bryann02.jpg _27K Publicity portrait from early 1990s, profile, shoulder bared.
- bryann03.jpg ___K Removed due to copyright reasons
- bryann04.jpg _51K Waist-up, publicity still from The Twin Dilemma. Very nice picture.
- bryann05.jpg _83K B&W, casting call publicity shot, wearing dress, sitting on grass.
- bryann06.jpg _35K B&W, medium shot, publicity still from Planet of Fire.
- bryann07.jpg _66K Full-length, sitting down, publicity still from The Twin Dilemma.
- bryann08.jpg _75K High-angle, wearing bikini in Planet of Fire. Composite shot made from several screen captures. Improved 06Jul96
- bryann09.jpg _52K B&W, publicity portrait. Great picture.
- bryann10.jpg _77K Waist-up, in leotard and shorts, wrapped in American flag, publicity shot.
- bryann11.jpg ___K Removed due to copyright reasons
- bryann12.jpg _42K B&W, medium long shot, profile, in black leather pants and white blouse, looking at camera, smiling. 06Jul96
- bryann13.jpg _14K Waist-up, sitting up in bed in TARDIS, in bikini top, screen capture from Planet of Fire. 06Jul96
- bryann14.jpg _45K Medium long shot, in colorful shirt and blue shorts, from The Two Doctors. 09Jul96
- bryann15.jpg _53K B&W, agency publicity portrait from around 1992. 08Feb97
- bryann16.jpg 155K Full-length, lying on floor in bikini. Improved 17Aug96
- bryann17.jpg _40K Medium shot, in multicoloured blouse and headband, publicity portrait from The Two Doctors. 16Mar97
- bryann18.jpg _18K Waist-up, in yellow leotard, in car with Colin Baker for personal publicity appearance, screen capture from The Colin Baker Years. 17Aug97
- bryann19.jpg _82K Medium shot, in white with plunging neckline, hand in hair. 17Aug97
- bryann20.jpg _43K Medium close-up, in pink blouse and bald makeup for Mindwarp. 17Aug97
- bryann21.jpg _84K Medium shot in black see-through top, lying on side, resting head on hand, recent publicity portrait, autographed. 28Aug98
- bryann22.jpg _63K B&W, medium shot holding multicoloured umbrella. 28Aug98
- bryann23.jpg _42K Medium shot in blue, at the "Doctor In Distress" recording session. 28Aug98
- bryann24.jpg _75K Medium shot in white leotard, publicity portrait. 28Aug98
- bryann25.jpg ___K Removed - duplicate
- bryann26.jpg _80K Medium long shot in white leotard and blue shorts, publicity portrait. 28Aug98
- bryann27.jpg _75K Waist-up in yellow striped outfit from The Mysterious Planet. 28Aug98
- bryann28.jpg _76K Medium long shot in tied-off blouse and blue shorts, behind gate in The Two Doctors. 28Aug98
- bryann29.jpg _41K Same shot as #24, different scan 28Aug98
- bryann30.jpg _78K Waist-up, wide shot, in pink leotard and shorts, in trouble with Cybermen inside the TARDIS, publicity still from Attack of the Cybermen. 28Aug98
- bryann31.jpg _19K B&W, recent publicity portrait, very nice. 28Aug98
- bryann32.jpg _84K Waist-up in blue jeans, unzipped dark long-sleeve jacket, and black bra. 28Aug98
Selected Story Images (others available - see individual
- st--6q01.jpg _32K Peri, Turlough in ocean-friendly clothes sc (Bryant, Strickson)
- st--6q03.jpg _24K Mark Strickson, Nicola Bryant in outtake shot sc
- st--6q12.jpg _15K Howard Foster, Peri (Dallas Adams, Bryant) sc
- st--6q13.jpg _16K Peri swimming (Bryant) sc
- st--6q17.jpg _16K Peri (Bryant) sc
- st--6q19.jpg _17K Kamelion-Master, Peri in Master's TARDIS (Ainley, Bryant) sc
- st--6t02.jpg _17K Doctor, Peri (CBaker, Bryant) sc
- st--6t04.jpg _17K Peri, Doctor "...and Passion!" (Bryant, CBaker) sc
- st--6t05.jpg _18K Peri next to TARDIS console (Bryant) sc
- st--6t07.jpg _19K Doctor, Peri at TARDIS console (CBaker, Bryant) sc
- st--6t08.jpg _13K Peri (Bryant) sc
- st--6t16.jpg _27K Doctor and Peri at 76 Totters Lane sign (CBaker, Bryant) sc
- st--6t17.jpg _18K Peri watches as the Doctor plays Bach on the TARDIS-as-pipe organ (Bryant, CBaker) sc
- st--6t24.jpg _17K Cryons Threst and Rost with Peri (Esther Freud, Sarah Berger, Bryant) sc
- st--6t31.jpg _17K Peri "Earth is safe and so is the web of time." (Bryant) sc
- st--6w01.jpg _62K Jamie, Peri (Hines, Bryant)
- st--6y02.jpg _14K Peri (Bryant) sc
- st--7c63.jpg _15K Queen Peri and King Yrcanos (Bryant, Brian Blessed) sc
[Doctor Who Image Archive Top]
© 1995,1998 Steven W Hill firstname.lastname@example.org